BRYAN INDUSTRIAL PROPERTIES has been a longtime property owner in the City of Anaheim and is disappointed that the City Council passed a resolution on April 8, 2015 supporting the County of Orange developing a minimum 200 person bed year-round multi-purpose homeless shelter at 1000 North Kraemer Place, Anaheim. To date, Anaheim and the City of Fullerton have pledged their support to the County with each City agreeing to provide $ 500,000 in support of this shelter.
- We are disappointed with City officials “going along” with the County without proper public debate;
- This $ 7mil+ dollar “Homeless Shelter” (building purchase of $ 4.25mil and
$ 3mil to retrofit) along with annual operating costs in excess of over $ 1mil dollars is not the answer. Creating another “County Service entity” is not the best use of taxpayer funds;
- We do not believe in the “warehousing” of the homeless;
- This effort will not appreciably change or remove the homeless from our neighborhoods, it will however, promote a “destination oriented location” for the homeless in our neighborhood;
- Monies could be better spent supporting the local privately owned and operated services (churches, kitchens, non-profit help centers) and we believe this to be the better approach;
A “Super-Sized County Homeless Shelter” as being proposed is not the answer.
Homeless shelters should be local and private in nature and co-located near existing support services, allowing for smaller local sites, with custom service and all with local response with local control, oversight and handling. Along with many others, we are very concerned of the impact this will have on the local tenants and neighboring businesses.